Thursday, June 6, 2013

THE VALUE OF CAPTIVITY

The mind is a powerful thing.  Our thoughts shape our behavior, our perceptions, and our relationships.  The Bible tells us that we are “…transformed by the renewal of our minds.” (Romans 12:2) What we think about informs our heart and soul.

Many of us are plagued with negative thoughts about ourselves.
     “I’m no good.  I’ll always fail.  I’ll never amount to anything.”
     “My life doesn’t matter.  No one really cares about me.  If I disappeared, no one would notice, much less care.”
     “No matter how hard I try, I’ll never make a difference.  It seems like I mess up everything I do.”
     “God could never love me.  After all I’ve done, why would God care about me, I’m worthless.”
     “My life stinks.  And it’s only going to get worse.  I’ll never get a break.  There’s no way I can change the way I am.”
     “I have to take care of myself.  No one else, especially God, comes through for me.  I better grab whatever I can whenever I get the chance.”
     “I’ve got some people fooled.  If people only knew what I was like on the inside; my thoughts, my feelings, how I use my time and my priorities, they would have a different opinion.


We all suffer from some negative thinking about ourselves.  And if our mind focuses on negative things, then we are transformed into negative people.

The root of most negative behavior is the false beliefs we embrace inwardly.  In order to be the person God has created us to be, we must identify and reject the toxic thoughts that keep us from God’s best.
“For as (a person) thinks in his heart, so is he.”  (NKJV)

God thinks much more highly of us than we tend to think of ourselves.  We are His chosen, adopted children for whom He sent His only Son, who suffered and died on our behalf.  God loves us unconditionally, which for me means, that God loves me in spite of myself.  He has prepared things for us to do on His behalf here and trusts us to accomplish His work and desires!

I need to be reminded of that more often.  Abraham Lincoln said, “I want to know all God’s thoughts.  All the rest are just details.”  Pastor and author Craig Groeschel writes, “Our thoughts are either focused on what’s eternal, life-changing, and true, or lost in the details of our temporary, selfish, false beliefs.”

Our lives are a battlefield.  To win the battle we need to control the battlefield, “Carefully guard your thoughts because they are the source of true life.”  (Proverbs 4:23, CEV)

Mindlessness is not failing to think.  It is failing to think properly about ourselves.  It is failing to pay attention to our thoughts and how they impact our relationships, work, and lives.

We think of imprisonment and captivity as negative things.  However, they can be valuable.  “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”  (II Corinthians 10:5)

~Rev

No comments:

Post a Comment