Thursday, May 30, 2013

Showing Up



Playing college football sounds glamorous to many.  However, playing Division III athletics has no resemblance to what we know of Division I athletics.  There are no plane flights to play away games.  There are no giant stadiums full of adoring fans.  There is no special treatment or special favors done for athletes.

My college football career included trips to Upland, Indiana, Olivet, Michigan, Greencastle, Indiana and Defiance, Ohio.  Not exactly tourist destinations.

One memorable game was played against Georgetown University.  Not the one located in Washington D.C.  The one located in Georgetown, Kentucky.  We traveled by bus on a Friday night, stayed in a motel, played the game and returned home following the game, which made for a very long day.  Back in the day there were no beautiful football fields with artificial turf.  Everything was natural.  This particular field was horribly uneven.  When our receivers ran pass patterns into the end zone they disappeared over a hill. 

My father attended as many of my games as possible, but he traveled a lot for his work and didn’t always want to make a long road trip on Saturday for football.  He had looked at the schedule and had let me know that the Georgetown, Kentucky game was not a possibility for him. 

The pre-game ceremonies were over and the game was about to begin when I heard a familiar voice yell, “Let’s go Hope!”  I turned, and much to my surprise, there was my dad.  He had gone out of his way to show up in Georgetown, Kentucky to support my teammates and me.  His presence spoke volumes to me about sacrifice; encouragement, supporting others, and going out of your way for people you care about. 

Showing up is important.  You don’t always have to have something to say, or something to give, or something to offer.  Showing up, being present, can make all the difference in the world. 

The incarnation, God becoming a human being, is about God showing up for us.  When we feel all alone.  When we think no one really cares.  When we are ready to give up on others.  God always shows up!

Even in Georgetown, Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment